Friday, February 13, 2009

Kyoto Day 2

March 2008

IMG_2241

After the aquarium excursion we headed back to Kyoto. We reserve a hotel and relax for a moment as I plan out the adventure for the upcoming night. We followed the sakura guide book I picked up and headed to various locations famous for their lit up flowers. We came to a bridge crossing the kamogawa river where the banks are lined many trees. I managed to get a few good shots. To do so I set up my portable tripod on the bridge railing. When I let go to drink from the can I was holding the camera tumbled from the railing, fortunately onto the bridge and not in the river. A plastic ring surrounding the lens broke off yet overall the camera seemed alright.

The Bridge of Doom

We went to the next spot shirakawa river in the Gion district, the most famous geisha district in Japan, and when I turned on the camera again the lens just fell out. I managed to piece it together with tape, but it often refuses to take pictures due to some percieved lens error. Theres nothing wrong with the camera, I swear! We managed to get along enough for me to get most of the pictures I wanted, nevertheless this was upsetting.


IMG_2266

Alongside shirakawa was a row of several small restaurants. Each one had bridge to cross as an entryway. The canopy of flowers from the short trees along the river was fantastic. This was a very crowded location. From here we walked without knowing where we were headed, and we came across an area like such a place we searched for the first night in Kyoto. This was an entertainment district with lots of shops that were still open at night. At the end of the the street we noticed a large gateway beckoning us to see what was inside. It turned out to be a huge park with, surprise! more flowers. There were lots of people having parties in the park, but it was a Sunday night. There were plenty of the ubiquitous  food and drink stalls, as well as carnival type games. There was even a stall selling Nintendo games. We passed a small dance party, but it was puny compared to the one I saw in Yoyogi Park during the day.

I must point out that the most amazing sakura tree I have ever seen resides in this park, It is massive and simply breathtaking. 


Japan's most famous cherry tree, Shidare-Zakura, festooned with crows, in Maruyama-koen

Eventually we sat down and had a bit to eat and drink. I was talking to an older couple who were sitting next to us. Our conversation wasn't too significant. They left before we did and Dave was considering returning to the hotel at this point. Just then, where the old couple was previously sitting two girls came and sat down. They were dressed in the Japanese 'gyaru' fashion: expensive designer clothes, bleached hair, and tanned skin. What would eventually unfold demonstrates that these girls were quite skilled in getting what they want. They whispered to each other and giggled. Clearly they sat down right in front of us in order to get our attention. It worked. After a few minutes of talking to them I found myself buying them each a drink and split some grilled chicken skewers with them. They were rather attractive and exactly the type of girl I had been avoiding in Japan up until this point. Although part of me felt as though I was being deceived somehow, I couldn't bring myself to see through the trickery. I got one of their numbers and decided to call her the next day.

No comments: