Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tokyo Food Experiences


Sorry I havent posted in a while, I have been fairly busy lately. The KCP Level 3 mid-term test went well. Perhaps, I got an A-....hopefully. I tried to send an email home from my mobile phone, but I accidently closed it after spending 30 minutes writing it >:( After the test on friday, I went out again with the koreans from my class, this time I was the only non korean. Later that night one of our teachers joined us at a bar, and even after a drink she still refused to tell us her real age. I never ended up going to the museum on saturday. The culture class was about polite fiction, how the japanese wont boast or brag and even go so far as to introduce their wife as my stupid wife when meeting someone. It was the most interesting culture class so far.

I went to harajuku with some friends and I bought two shirts and a bandana. One of the shirts has particularly indecipherable engrish on it. We walked to shibuya and ate at a japanese restaurant. We had fried chicken, fried squid, maguro and ika (squid) sashimi, and japanese style german potatoes. Im not really sure what the potatoes were meant to be, but they had onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, bacon, and katsuo (the dried fish flakes). Afterwards we went to an arcade and then later a bar called ghetto happy dining. There I tried umeshuu (plum wine) sorbet and sherbet, which was fantastic, as well as the panic chicken (which was delicious, although not as spicy as I expected).

On Sunday I went to the graveyard with the whole Suzuki family to honor tomokosans late husband. Along with the picture above, I have a few other pictures of everyone that I uploaded to flickr.. Afterwards we went to a very fancy restaurant. We sat down in a waiting area that had a bar with no bartender. From there we were lead to an extravagent private room which coincidentally was available for us that day. We started off with champagne, and the first dish was a salad of various tubers. Next was some type of fish cooked on the steel grill at the table. (Normally this would be a black surface, a teppan, but there it seemed to be some type of stainless steel.) It had a mushroom and champagne sauce, it was amazing. Next was some type of very tender beef (I dont know what, it had little fat but was so soft) served with two sauces and slices of grilled garlic. After that was two small slices of sirloin. Next came garlic rice with miso soup and a small bowl of pickled vegetables and a cup of tea. I had white wine with the fish and california red wine with the beef. After the meal we were lead upstairs to the desert room where I had coffee and two scoops of different chocolate ice cream. One was brandy and the other Im not sure. The meal itself was fantastic but I was more amazed by the decoration of the place, it was just so extravagant. I took some pictures of the outside on my phone, I will eventually upload those as well.

Oh and last monday I believe I had a private (free) lesson with a calligraphy teacher who came to the house. He was a friend of tomoko-san's friend, so she also met him for the first time. He arrived at 7 30 and I expected maybe 2 or 3 hours, but he wouldnt leave until 12 40. He brought three pieces that he wrote for me, aikido, mu shin, and mu ga. Mu shin is literally no mind (spirit), but its more like having a pure spirit. Mu ga means no self, basically selfless. He is a paid teacher, but he volunteered to do this for me. It was a great experience.

This monday night Hiromi-san made tacos. It wasnt anything more than premade shells and ground beef mixed with salsa and then topped with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, but it was so good since its been a while.

Last night I went to an okonomiyaki restaurant with tomoko-san and three of her friends. They were a crazy bunch. It was very amusing. I also found out that Tomoko-san was born in China and at three years old, how she got into into japan. This weekend Im planning to go to Nikko with some friends. I was going to go out to dinner with another girl from my class today, but she didnt go to class, so we will probably go friday instead.

I guess thats about everything for now. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: