Thursday, November 1, 2007

Week 3 at KCP


School is going great, my classmates are an enjoyable bunch, and my three teachers are great. They all make class very interesting and have plenty of jokes. One in particular is very funny, yet at the same time she is the most serious of them all. At the KCP entrance ceremony she was introduced as the most beautiful teacher at school. She is in fact very pretty, but she is not yet married and this seems to bothers her. One of the korean males in a class has what appears to be a wedding ring on his finger but he won't admit to being married. This teacher (Konno sensei) is always giving him a hard time. Today she said his ring is minikui which has two seperate, yet interestingly linked meanings: ugly or hard to look at.

My commute takes about an hour or more, and if I leave in the morning the train is packed. Coming home at just about any time its the same case. Once it was so crowded I could not even read my book as I was standing. I was so close to the japanese businessman I would believe I would have felt his heartbeat were I on the left side of his chest. Im always so tired by the time I get home, its always a big relief stepping through the door and even more so getting in the bath at the end of the day. A couple nights ago after drinking maybe a little too much I was so tired on the train I actually fell asleep standing. The train attendant had to wake me up at the last stop but it wasn't a big deal since my stop is adjacent. According to tomoko-san my route is the most crowded in all of Japan, I believe her. Oh and I dont normally stop here but I have been to Shinjuku station a few times and it is absolutely enormous. It is by far the largest train station I have ever seen.

I recieved my gaikokujintorokusho (foreigner identification) this morning and also applied for the national health insurance at the same time. It should be coming at some point in the near future by post. I also received my student id two days ago, and I bought a cell phone 3 days ago.

I have a 2 year plan, that way the phone was free. Even though I said I would have to cancel before the contract is up, they said that is the cheapest way. The cancellation penalty is 20,000 yen. I also am paying for email and internet service for 400 yen/month, as well as 500yen/month for full coverage insurance. My plan right now is 1950 yen/month for 20 yen/min, but i can downgrade to 950/month for 40 yen/min. These figures are approximate, If did the math correctly, and unless i talk for over 45 min a month, the cheaper plan is the way to go.

Im doing a little better with my money now. I'm approaching the final 5000 yen from the 60,000 I originally withdrew from my account. Tomorrow, I will make another 30,000 withdrawal. My goal is to be spending less than 50,000 a month.

Tanaka-san (from KCP) is a second degree black belt in enmei ryuu kendo. I asked him about obtaining an iato and he said the best way is through a mail order. They custom make every sword and he said they are very good quality. The prices start at 40,000 yen and scale upwards; I was interested in the midrange of 50,000. This is the one big purchase I want to make in japan, and if I take good care of the sword, it will last my lifetime and even longer.

Last night a group of 16 American students (although one wasn't a student, as he works for honda racing development and is from los angeles and my friend met him skateboarding) went out for karaoke in honor of one students birthday. It was a lot of fun.

This week I got an 82 on a grammar test and 100 on a kanji test. Next thursday is the undoukai (sports meet). I signed up for the relay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan trazodone overdose - ativan withdrawal period